I am primarily interested in the field of Bioacoustics and currently work as a Project assistant in the Avian Bioacoustics Project of IISER Tirupati. For my research, I am looking at Song variation of White-Bellied Sholakili (Sholicola albiventris) in the Palani hills landscapes. This species belongs to the newly discovered genus Sholicola, which is a group of beautiful passerine songbirds endemic to the Western Ghats of India. Apart from this, I am also using autonomous recorder units to look at patterns of avian communities in the same Palani Hills landscape.
I am interested in different types of vocal behaviors especially vocal mimicry, alarm call, and duet song. I would like to understand these complex behaviors with an ecological and conservation oriented perspective.
Projects Involved: Jerdon's Courser, Forest Owlet, Passive Acoustics of Shola Birds,
Automated Bird song detection.
PERSONAL AND OTHER INTERESTS
I have been watching (and listening) birds for almost a decade now. For me "Birding is all about a call." In this pursuit, I have visited different landscapes throughout India and recorded variety of wildlife sounds. I started recording bird sounds in 2009 and since then, I have recorded sounds of nearly half the avian species that are found in the Indian subcontinent. In the past, I have worked for BNHS' Vulture conservation project in Gujarat. Otherwise, the Himalaya is my favorite place where I have spent quality time in understanding the avian communities at different elevations. Now, I am falling in love with the western ghats.
- Arvind, C., Joshi, V., Charif, R., Jeganathan, P., & Robin, V. (2022). Species detection framework using automated recording units: A case study of the Critically Endangered Jerdon's courser. Oryx, 1-8. doi:10.1017/S0030605321000995
- Sawant, S., Arvind, C., Joshi, V., Robin V. V. (2022) Song Richness Index: A measure to understand the diversity and repetition of notes in a birdsong. bioRxiv 2021.12.18.472638; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.12.18.472638
- Sawant, S., Arvind, C., Joshi, V. and Robin, V.V. (2021), Spectrogram cross-correlation can be used to measure the complexity of bird vocalizations. Methods Ecol Evol. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.13765
- Viral Joshi, Robin VV.(2019) White-bellied sholakili Sholicola albiventris Feeding on Shieldtail snake Uropeltidae sp. IndianBirds 15(4) 127-128
- Taylor Crisologo, Viral Joshi, Sahas Barve (2017). Jack of all call and master of few:vocal mimicry in the Tawny lark (Galerida deva). Avian Biology Research 10(3).
- Soham Dixit, Viral Joshi, Sahas Barve (2016). Bird diversity of the Amrutganga Valley, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand, India with an emphasis on the elevational distribution of species. Check list 12(2),2016
- Devvratshinh Mori, Viral joshi (2017)-Recents Sightings of the Lesser Florican In Gujarat.
- Devvratshinh mori ,Viral joshi, Mukesh bhatt, Meet bhatt. 2017. Bar-Winged Flycatcher-Shrike in Vansada National Park. Flamingo 15: (2) 1-4
- Viral Joshi, Mohan Ram Legha (2017). Eurasian scops owl in Bhavnagar district. Flamingo 15: (2) 11-12
- Devvratshih Mori, Viral Joshi (2017). Status and distribution of the Black Shaheen In Gujarat. Flamingo 15: (2) 1-4
- Viral Joshi, Divyaraj shah (In coordination with Forest department Amreli) - Status and distribution ecology of Lesser Florican (Sypheotides indicus) in Amreli, Gujarat (Greater Gir Land Scape Area) - “Kalkaliyo”, Nature club, Surat.