Vishnudas C K
I am a field biologist with a broad interest on the evolution of life on earth and how species evolve and adapt in an ever-changing landscape. I use birds as model organisms, mountain ecosystems as thrust areas, and with tools in ecology, molecular biology to explore further on my research ideas. My research is mostly collaborative in nature. Many of my research questions evolved from my extensive natural history explorations across India over a period of 20 years. I believe conservation research is more essential in today’s world to support science-based management of ecosystems. Some of these areas support threatened and endangered species, and, transdisciplinary, collaborative research blending basic and applied sciences can do wonders in our biological understanding.
PERSONAL AND OTHER INTERESTS
Away from my work, I love spending time with my family, enjoy driving and reading popular science and natural history writings.
- Abhimanyu lele, Arasumani , M, Vishnudas C.K, Devcharan Jathanna, Robin V.V.2019.Local extinction of a montane, endemic grassland bird driven by landscape change across its global distribution. Preprint.DOI: 10.1101/695536
- Pooja Gupta, Vishnudas C.K ,Uma Ramakrishnan, Robin V.V and Guha Dharmarajan .2019. Geographical and host species barriers differentially affect generalist and specialist parasite community structure in a tropical sky-island archipelago .June 2019. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 286(1904) DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2019.0439
- Sashikumar, C., Vishnudas, C. K..2018. Status of Vultures in Kerala. Securing Vulture Population in Southern India (2018). Edited by
- Ramakrishnan, B. Proceedings of the workshop conducted from 8th to 10th, January, 2018 at Udhagamandalam, Nilgiris.
- M Arasumani, Danish Khan, C.K Vishnudas, M Muthukumar, Milind Bunyan, V.V. Robin 2018. Invasion compounds an ecosystem-wide loss to afforestation in the tropical grasslands of the Shola Sky Islands. Biological Conservation, 230, 141-150
- Karthika C. & Vishnudas C. K. 2018. A comparative study of mixed-species bird flocks in shaded coffee plantation and natural forest in Wayanad, Kerala. Indian BIRDS. 14 (4): 97–102
- V.V Robin, C.K Vishnudas, Pooja Gupta, Frank E Rheindt, Daniel M Hooper, Uma Ramakrishnan, Sushma Reddy.Two new genera of songbirds represent endemic radiations from the Shola Sky Islands of the Western Ghats, India 2017/12. BMC Evolutionary Biology, 17-1,31. BioMed Central.
- Robin V.V, VishnudasC.K ,Pooja Guptha and Ramakrishnan Uma, 2015.Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences282(1810) · JULY 2015. DOI:10.1098/rspb.2015.0861.
- Sashikumar C., Bimalnath KG, Hari Mavelikara, Harikumar Mannar, ES Praveen, Raju S, Roshnath R, Sathyan Meppayur, B Sreekumar, A K Sivakumar, CK Vishnudas, Praveen J and Nameer P O. 2015. Heronries of Kerala – 2014. Malabar Trogon 13(2&3):2-11.
- Robin V.V, Vishnudas C.K and Ramakrishnan Uma, 2014. Reassessment of the distribution and threat status of the Western Ghats endemic bird, Nilgiri Pipit Anthusnilghiriensis, Current Science Vol.107, (4) 622-630
- Sashikumar, C., Vishnudas, C. K., Raju, S., & Vinayan, P. A., 2014. On Sálim Ali’s trail: A comparative assessment of southern Kerala’s avifauna after 75 years. Indian BIRDS 9 (2): 29–40.1.
- C.Sasikumar, C.K.Vishnudas, S. Raju, P.A. Vinayan & Rajashree V.V. (2013) A catalogue of the Bird specimens in Trivandrum Museum, Kerala Forest Department, 2013
- Vishnudas, C. K., & Krishnan, N. V., 2012. Observations of breeding of Greater Painted-snipe Rostratula benghalensis in the rice paddies in Wayanad, Kerala. Indian BIRDS 8 (1):
- C.Sasikumar, Vishnudas, C. K, S. Raju, P.A. Vinayan & Shebin V.A.( 2012) Large Grey Babbler Tudoides malcolmi and Sykes Warbler Iduna rama in Walayar: First photographic record from Kerala. Malabar Trogon Vol 10(1&2) Jan-Aug-2012
- C.Sasikumar, Vishnudas, C. K, S. Raju, P.A. Vinayan & S.Kannan .( 2011) On the status of Lesser Fish-Eagle Ichthyophaga humilis in southern Kerala. Indian Birds. Vol.7, No.1
- C.Sasikumar, Vishnudas, C. K, S. Raju, S.Kannan , P.A. Vinayan.( 2011) Along the trail of Salim Ali : Travancore –Cochin Ornithological Survey, , Kerala Forest Department.
- C.Sasikumar, Vishnudas, C. K, S. Raju, P.A. Vinayan & Shebin V.A.( 2011) Heronries of NorthKerala-2011, Malabar Trogon Vol.9 (3), No.2
- Sashikumar, C., Vishnudas, C. K., Raju, S., Vinayan, P. A., & Shebin, V. A. 2011. Parasitic Jaeger Stercorarius parasiticus at Kannur coast, south-western India. Indian BIRDS 7 (3): 76.
- Anil Zachariah, K.P Dinesh, C.Radhakrishnan, E.Kunhikrishanan, Muhammed jafer palot & Vishnudas, C.K. A new species of PolypedatesT schudi (Amphibia: Anura: Rhacophoridae) from southern Western Ghats, Kerala, India,( 2011) Biosystematica, 5(1): 49-53
- Vishnudas. C.K. (2008)Cremetogaster ant nest in coffee Plantations: a critical food source for Rufus woodpecker and other forest birds, Indian Birds Vol.4 No.1, Jan-Feb-2008
- C.K, Vishnudas, (2007). Notes on the breeding of Jerdons baza (Aviceda jerdoni) in Wayanad district, Indian birds Vol.3(2), 62-64, 2007